Thursday, December 20, 2007

Give It A-Way - 12/20/07

Mark 4:21&24, "Then Jesus said to them, 'Do you hide a lamp under a bowl or under a bed? No! You put the lamp on a lampstand.' ... The way you give to others is the way God will give to you, but God will give you even more."

I think these two verses jumped out at me this morning as instructions from God on how I am to handle a situation at work.

One of our secretaries was gone for a week and a half - I didn't know why until I welcomed her back. It turns out, her mother passed away. She began telling me a little bit about her family, explaining that her mom was sick for six years before passing away.

My dear God...

I started telling her about my own mother, who was also sick for six years before Heaven became her forwarding address. As we were speaking, I kept thinking about the book Traveling Light by Max Lucado. This book is about the baggage we all carry around with us, and how we can give it over to God, one bag at a time. One piece of "luggage" in the book is the burden of grief - I think our secretary can benefit from it.

An interesting aside, however ... the book is called Traveling Light. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world." He traveled around while teaching. He WAS Traveling Light. His teachings now travel around the world, giving light. And now, a teacher, who loves traveling, has purchased a copy to give to a person who needs the Light Of The World to help her "travel light." GOD ROCKS!

My original plan, before reading this scripture, was to anonymously place the book in her mailbox, maybe with a sticky note on the applicable chapter. I wanted to avoid potential controversy as a Christian teacher in a public school doing Christian things to people who may or may not believe. But, "Do you hide a lamp under a bowl? No!" I won't be as effective if I hide a book based on God's word hoping she'll read it.

Then I read the next verse, "The way you give to others is the way God will give to you ... but even more." So, if I am giving, but hide who the giver is, then God will give to me in the same way. I will still be blessed, but I won't have the awe-inspiring encounter with the Giver. And if I were to have withheld the gift entirely, God would have dealt with me in the same way.

Jesus also said, "I am the way." If He is, then try replacing the word "way" with His name in the scripture above. "The JESUS you give to others is the JESUS God will give to you, but God will give you even more." Ha ha! I love that!

If we freely give the Word - our God; pass along His Traveling Light to others, then we will receive even more of His word and presence. What an exciting way to live!

So, as a Christian state employee I will not anonymously hide the light for others to stumble upon, but let it boldy shine - so pray for me!

________________________________________________________________________

No comments: