Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Authority - 1/8/2008

Romans 13:1, "All of you must yield to the government rulers. No one rules unless God has given him the power to rule, and no one rules now without that power from God."

This morning, God reminded me that people who have authority are in such a position because He put them there. What they do in that position, of course, is up to them and many people throughout history will have to have an uncomfortable talk with God about how they abused that authority. But, the fact is, as Christians we are to submit to the authority in our lives; to God's authority and the law of the land. Rebelling against that authority is said in this chapter of Romans to be equal to rebellion against God Himself; against the laws and leadership He has established.

I believe this applies to the workplace as well, and that's why I feel like God used this verse to talk to me this morning about my attitude at work. Our bossess and employers hold positions of authority in our lives, and I see no reason not to think God would have also established them in those positions...

Yesterday I learned that I will have to move my 6th period class to another room every day - an incredible inconvenience that will throw off my routine for that period. As I allowed this information to stew in my mind, I continued to add resentment to the broth, turned up the heat, and let it simmer. I felt the administration should sample my bitter stew - to at least hear how this schedule will affect my daily life, even if it is only for one semester, even if voicing my disapproval will bring about no changes to the schedule. I don't care that they don't have options, this makes things harder for ME!

That's when God put me in check. I read this verse, and through it He reminded me that as a Christian I am to be recognized as somebody who respects authority - both earthly and divine. If I am asked to do something inconvenient at work, it is my job to do it. After all, I'm getting paid to.

Even as I was reading this verse though, I felt slighted by the administration's decision. I took it personally, even though it wasn't a personal attack. I thought to myself, "Why don't I just find a job at a school that has room for me and will make me feel welcome? I'm a good teacher. I take my job seriously. Any other school would be glad to have me." Dangerous, prideful thinking. I immediately glanced up, and verse 16 of chapter 12 read itself to me,
"...do not think how smart you are."

Oops. Okay, already! I'll be good. Which, as it says here in the Bible, is how you defeat evil. Romans 12:21, "Do not let evil defeat you, but defeat evil by doing good."

Thank you, Jesus, for the gentle reminder this morning. Thank you for speaking to me through your word. Thank you for keeping me on track and reminding me of my job as a teacher and as a Christian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Yesterday I learned that I will have to move my 6th period class to another room every day - an incredible inconvenience that will throw off my routine for that period." I am also a Christian school teacher, only I am located at an American International Christian school in Panama. I once had to deal with some similar inconvenient decisions that really forced me to learn the meaning of the word "flexibility." It is true, however, that at the end of the day, we are called to obey the lines of authority that he has established. This doesn't mean that we cannot share our issues with administration, but in the end we need to be able to accept their decision with grace. I invite you to join me at my new blog www.christianteacherforum.wordpress.com, where I am inviting the public to use the site as a resource and discussion point on Christian school teaching. I hope to see your comments, as I am sure you would have some helpful things to add.