Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Start Running - 2/1/06

Hebrews 12:1-3, "...So let us run the race that is before us and never give up. We should remove from our lives anything that would get in the way and the sin that so easily holds us back. Let us look only to Jesus...He held on while wicked people were doing evil things to Him. So do not get tired and stop trying."

I came across this verse this morning in my Bible, and now again in the short reading I just finished from the book of Martyrs, Jesus Freaks by dc Talk. It was used in reference to a Russian Christian, Nikolai Khamara, who had is eyes cut out to persuade his pastor to reveal other church members. Before cutting out Nikolai's tongue, he said, "Praise the Lord Jesus Christ. I have said the highest words that can be said." He then died for his faith at the hands of the KGB. This was the race set before him, and he ran it without giving up. He looked only to Jesus, and held on while wicked people were doing evil things to him.

The last commandment in this passage is, "So do not get tired and stop trying."

I can't help but think of the race my mom ran since today is her birthday. She is now with Him and did not get tired. She lived the verse 2 Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now, a crown is being held for me -- a crown for being right with God. The Lord, the judge who judges rightly, will give the crown to me on that day."

She now wears her crown in paradise, with our God and countless others. I must look to Jesus daily, and be inspired by the examples of others to finish my race, to run with endurance, to keep the faith and honor Him.

No comments: