Tuesday, March 16, 2010

La Palmera - 3/16/2010

Psalm 92:12-15, "But good people will grow like palm trees; they will be tall like the cedars of Lebanon. Like trees planted in the temple of the Lord, they will grow strong in the courtyards of our God. When they are old, they will still produce fruit; they will be healthy and fresh. They will say that the Lord is good. He is my Rock, and there is no wrong in Him."

This verse inspired me this morning. It may have been the image of the palm tree, which obviously I love. It may have been the idea of producing fruit in old age - Melissa and I had just recently discussed how retirement can either be lazy and self-indulgent, or an opportunity to serve God without any hindrances. Either way, I thought about how each verse can apply to my life:
12: "We will grow like palm trees."
How do palm trees grow? Fast and strong! Have you ever seen a palm sapling? I don't know that I have - they don't stay small for long. I remember in Belize, driving by a section of jungle while the pastor's wife explained to us that just four years prior, that jungle had been a corn field. They stopped farming it, and instantly the jungle reclaimed that land. There were tall palms there - the trunks weren't very thick, but they were imposing. Many palms can also survive hurricane-force winds. They can bend without breaking. Who wouldn't want to live this way? To quickly grow and thrive, while simultaneously surviving the worst life can throw at you. How can we arrive in this place in our lives?
13: "...they will grow strong in the courtyards of our God."
We grow in God's presence! That's how we can arrive at the place in our lives where we thrive like the palm tree. We become the strong, beautiful fixture on the horizon by His wisdom and guidance.
14: "When they are old, they will still produce fruit."
This is my goal, to be old and still serving God and furthering His kingdom. I like this verse because the word "still" is in there, implying fruit is produced in youth, but for those who are like the palm tree, it will continue into old age.
15: "They will say that the Lord is good. He is my Rock, there is no wrong in Him."
We will praise God! We will share what He has done. We will tell the world that He is good. He loves us - all of us! This verse is also prophetic. It claims they will say that "He is my Rock." Jesus told the parable of the two houses - one built on sand, the other built on rock. After the storms, only the house built on rock remained standing. For this reason, we do say that "He is my Rock," as the psalmist wrote, and there is no wrong in Him! His ways are sometimes mysterious, and always perfect. His decisions are always the BEST choices! He can be your Rock too! Thank you Lord!

Lord, help me to become like the palm tree described in this Psalm.

________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynda says,
Nathan I loved this post. May we all grow like Palm trees.