Saturday, June 26, 2010

Greatest Returns - 6/26/2010

Ecclesiastes 5:10-11, "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless. As goods increase, so do those who consume them. And what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them?"

My wife and I are in the process of adopting an orphan from Ethiopia. It goes without saying that this process is not cheap, but it is worthwhile. I know people question this decision and wonder why anybody would spend so much to bring home someone else's child. To be honest, I have wondered the same thing. I've always wanted to adopt, but once I felt called to begin the process, the sticker shock was enough to cause me to honestly question if the price and paperwork were worth it.

Then came the big questions. "If I don't spend the money on
this child, who will?" "If I save this money for myself and my family, what will it bring us? More money? More things? Then what? What will those benefit us in the big picture?"

I think this is what Solomon meant when he wrote, "This too is meaningless." I could invest the money I would put toward international adoption and earn more money, but it will never be enough. I would always want more. Maybe one day I would be wealthy by the world's standards, but as Solomon who was rich beyond imagination wrote, I wouldn't be satisfied. And, this world is temporary. In the end, all the fanciness and shiny things will pass away, and the only thing that will remain is God and the people He created.

People are the only investments that will truly last. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 4:18, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

"But, Nathan, what about your children and their future? You should leave them as much money as possible!"
If I've done my job as a father, I will have been responsible with my money while serving God, and taught my kids to do the same, not worrying about finances while keeping in mind this lesson.

After writing the first big check for this adoption, I really questioned the cost, especially considering our agency is not-for-profit, and still expensive. So, I pictured my own retirement years and the two possible scenarios that I could attain: one centered around living for myself - building wealth and ending up with a very small family, or alone, but surrounded by very nice things. But as Solomon wrote in the verse above, "...what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them?" The second option is to live for God, serve others, and maybe have a smaller home, fewer luxuries, but surrounded by lives God touched through my obedience.

So thinking about adoption and money with terms used for investment, which of these holds the greater return? My money, performing in a strong market, could grow by 7-10% each year, so when I retire it could yield a return that would impress even the most serious investor, but when my life ends so does my ability to feast my eyes on all I had gained. Or, I could invest in human lives. The money I put toward adoption could deliver a person from a short, tragic life and literally restore generations of God's people, established on a foundation of love.

Do the math. Which of these two investments has the greatest return?
In my twilight years, is it better to be surrounded by things, or people?

That's not to say we can't have nice things or big houses. It is when we allow things to take the focus off of God or hinder us from serving Him that we begin to have problems. Some may argue that it's their money, they worked hard for it, they can spend it however they want. But for thousands of years we've had the words of Moses that warn, "You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth..."

How are you thanking Him for that ability? How are you using the ability He's given you to serve Him? Will you leave a legacy of selfish living, or one of serving the Lord our God? "you cannot serve both God and Mammon" ... so ... "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Meliski said...

This is a really good one, yo. I like the links too :)