Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Get To Work - 1/23/06

1 Corinthians 12:28,31 "In the church God has given a place first to Apostles, second to prophets, and third to teachers. Then God has given a place to those who do miracles, those who have gifts of healing, those who help others, those who are able to govern, and those who can speak in different languages...but you should truly want to have these greater gifts."

Okay, so this morning I opened up my Bible and didn't even turn a page, there was a message right there waiting for me. It turns out this is the third day in a row with a similar theme, so I'm starting a couple days back with the original journal entry to put it in context. This is what I wrote about the above passage on Monday:

The first thing that struck me about this passage is the use of the word "gifts," especially in the last sentence. It is honorable to be a teacher and useful to speak in other languages and powerful to heal, but none of this is of my own ability.

These abilities are GIFTS. I can boast of nothing. I can offer nothing to my God but a willing heart to be used according to His will, and even then I don't always give to Him what is asked of me. "...We are his hands, we are his feet, believers in Jesus, children of the king..."

But if I use my gifts well, I must maintain the perspective of a God-centered, not a Me-Centered life. I must give Him the glory and use this as a reminder to maintain humility -- to humble myself before a God whose eyes see all our righteous acts as filthy rags. Isaiah 64:6 But, His love for us conquered all and because of His sacrifice we can stand blameless before Him.

The second thing about this passage is the Corinthians' comparison between spiritual gifts and ministries. "If we are the body, why aren't His hands reaching, why aren't His words teaching..." The gifts and abilities I have represent the part of the body that I must function under.

The third connection is the "Inspiration" sidenote in my Bible which reads, "When one part of the body suffers, the other parts suffer...when one Christian fails we share his failure and care for his needs. When he is restored to fellowship, we rejoice with him."

Parts of the body - the church - work together. A failing part effects the whole. This tells me that:

  1. We should regularly be involved in active fellowship - to join a body
  2. We should examine our own abilities and minister to others according to our individual strengths.
  3. When a brother or sister stumbles, we are called upon to help restore and edify that part of the body to restore His ultimate purpose, to further the Kingdom, and to thwart the enemy's attempt to neutralize an effective Christian.

No comments: