Wednesday, April 05, 2006

April Showers...Elijah's Rain? Or God's Reign? - 4/5/06

Zechariah 10:1, “Ask the Lord for rain during the springtime rains. The Lord is the one who makes the clouds. He sends the showers and gives everyone green fields."

It has been rainy where I live the past few days. I keep thinking about the rhyme I learned as a kid, “April showers bring May flowers.” I can already see the results of that here – greenery returning to the rolling hills that surround this city.

When I read this verse in Zechariah, I felt the twinge that so often accompanies a verse that I feel God has led me to. Then I thought of the rain over the past few days. Wasn’t enough confirmation for me, though! I turned the page to look for a verse elsewhere. I soon turned back though, accidentally. That confirmed that God really wanted to speak to me through this verse tonight.

I thought about it, and I think this verse is awesome. “Ask the Lord for rain … the one who makes the clouds.” The One who makes the clouds! Go to the source! Right now it’s the season for springtime rains. If you’re not receiving what you need, if you are not experiencing blessings raining down in your life, then go directly to the One who made those things.

Let’s see … what else did God make? Oh, maybe … EVERYTHING? So, are we trying to make our own plans or provide for ourselves according to our own ability? Or, are we letting God truly reign in our lives, coming to Him with our petitions, cares, or concerns?

If you need a quenching rain in your life, let God reign in it first. Pray to Him, sincerely with faith, and give Him the glory when He answers that prayer. There is so much power in prayer. Believe me, God hears us when we pray. Elijah prayed for rain, and against it. God heard him. James 5:17-18, “Elijah was a human being just like us. He prayed that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years! Then Elijah prayed again, and the rain came down from the sky, and the land produced crops again.”

Elijah wasn’t a powerful being with supernatural powers, it says plainly right here that he was a human being just like us. Every one of us can see the power of God moving in our lives like this if we aren’t praying selfishly and are willing to give God the glory. But first, we have to pray.

Think of the fig tree Jesus cursed. One of my favorite stories, actually. Jesus was hungry and approached a fig tree for food, finding none growing there. He cursed the tree and it immediately dried up. It seems even inanimate objects should be prepared to serve the son of God and are subject to His judgment. Plus, when I’m hungry, I get crabby. I can use this as justification for being short with people when I haven’t eaten… just kidding.

It’s what Jesus said after cursing the tree that is really powerful. Matthew 21:21-22, “… I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will be able to do what I did to this tree and even more. If you believe, you will get anything you ask for in prayer.

I wrote a scripture like that one (Mark 11:24) on the top of each page of my prayer journal. When I’d ask for something in prayer, I’d read that, believe I received it, and wrote the prayer down with the date that I asked for it. When Jesus answered my prayer, I’d write that date on the other side of it.

After a few pages of answered prayers, I was humbled to think I could have ever doubted God’s power or involvement in my life. He loves us SO much He’d give us whatever we ask for!

Anyway, it’s raining outside right now. Did you pray for this? Or do you need to so that it will rain in your life? Well then, let Him reign…

How do these scriptures apply to your life? Are you in a season of rain or draught? Let me know!

________________________________________________________________________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that this post was useful in planning a prayer for my high school parish leadership team. Thank you! :D

N8 said...

Thank you for letting me know, it's always nice to hear when God uses you to edify others. I'll pray that the message is well received!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this awesome and inspiring word.

I am preparing for an all night and I am leading prayers for my pastor and his family.

This is awesome. Just what I needed to link to what I had in my spirit.

Austin VJ M.