Sunday, April 02, 2006

First, Fruits,Then Blessings - 4/2/06

Malachi 1:2, “The Lord said, ‘I have loved you.’”

… I have loved you … That’s what God said to me on Thursday. My wife suggested that this evening I look into the book of Malachi. I opened to it, and the second verse of Malachi basically read itself to me; it was so clearly the focus of the page. And, it reiterated Thursday's message.

I know that the Lord has loved me. I can look throughout my life and count my blessings. He has indeed loved me. More than any blessing He has ever given me though, He died for me. His blood paid off my great debt. He said the greatest love a man can give to his friend is to die for them. So, He has loved us.

Should we not honor the greatest love then with the highest honor? How do we do that? Maybe through sacrifice? You could you say that He has honored His love for us through His sacrifice. He said He loved us. Then, He proved it - honored His word - in the biggest possible way - He gave up His life for His friends.

This was his Father’s idea, to bring about reconciliation between Man and God. Jesus honored His father as we’ve all been commanded to do by fulfilling the request to lay down His life in place of ours. His sacrifice was honor. “The Lord All-Powerful says, ‘A child honors his father, and a servant honors his master. I am a father, so why don’t you honor me? I am a master, so why don’t you respect me?’” Malachi 1:6.

The Jewish people offered sacrifices to honor God and to atone for the sin debt. Our debt has been paid by His ultimate sacrifice so blood is no longer required. So, we are left to honor God in another way. What then? We can sacrifice our wallets and our purses. Do you believe and trust God enough to actually give Him your money?

He’s asked for ten percent of what we bring in to be returned to the storehouse. Malachi 3:10, “Bring to the storehouse a full tenth of what you earn so there will be food in my house. Test me in this.’” Here you will find the only plce in the Bible where God asks US to test HIM. Plus, we still get to keep most of it – a full ninety percent.

What do the results of this test look like? The Lord of All Creation will protect your assets. If you’re using them to help further the kingdom, then why wouldn’t He protect them? “I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need. I will stop the insects so they won’t eat your crops. The grapes won’t fall from your vine before they’re ready to pick,” Malachi 3:10-11.

Most of us don’t plant crops. But we all spend our days planting and harvesting something. The Lord will place His protective hand over what you’re working on, so that it may bear fruit.

When it does, we must remember to offer to Him our firstfruits. The best of the crop. By His power and protection, they’re His anyway. Proverbs 3:9-10, “Honor the Lord with your wealth and the firstfruits from all your crops. Then your barns will be full, and your wine barrels will overflow with new wine.”

This is the heart of the message of the book of Malachi. The Lord took no honor in the half-hearted offerings, the second-rate sacrifices the people brought to Him. They weren’t firstfruits. They were leftovers. Blind sheep. Crippled calves. It was no sacrifice for the Israelites to sacrifice them. They saved the best for themselves. So, the Lord All Powerful said to them, “…You have robbed me in your offerings and the tenth of your crops. So a curse is on you…” Malachi 3:8-9. Don't steal from God! God! All-Powerful, remember?

All Powerful, and Loving. He has loved us with His sacrifice. We can return that love through action, demonstrate our faith in Him through works. He has told us to test him, and to honor Him. Why shouldn’t we show honor to the One who paid the greatest price? He alone is worthy of it. If we do, we’re blessed. If we don’t, we are stealing from the Lord God All Powerful. I wouldn’t steal from my wife, or a friend. Why should I consider stealing from the only one who has the ability to curse me for doing so?

Honor through our firstfruits - our tithe; a return on the Lord's investment of great love, and then blessings for us.

The choice is clear, so why not make it already? If you don’t believe it, test Him…

No comments: