Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Being Still - 4/26/06

2 Corinthians 12:8-10, "...take this problem away from me. But He said to me, 'My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you.' ...when I am weak, then I am truly strong."

His grace is enough for me, too. Even though I can't see His plan for my life or where He's leading me right now, that shouldn't matter. I have His grace, meaning favor or good will. It also means mercy/clemency, and specifically the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.

His grace is enough for me. I know that He has plans for me, ".... plans to do good and not to harm me. Plans to give [me] hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11. I can sigh heavily in my discontent or pout, but really I should know that I am in His favor and that is enough. His grace is enough for me. Just like Psalms 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God."

"Be still and know that I am God."
"Be still and know that I am God."
"Be still and know that I am God."

That's what the scripture above means when it states that His power is made perfect in our weakness. We finally decide to be quiet and let God do His work. So often, it is only in our weakness that we rely on God, which is the opposite of how we're supposed to live. Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." We're supposed to lean on Him always so He can guide our paths, rather than make our own decisions and then look to Him for validation or supporting miracles. But, coming to Him in our weakness, humbling ourselves and relying on Him, opens the door for Him to work in our lives. That's how His power is made perfect in us -- we give Him complete control or our wills and our hearts.

There lies the greatest challenge. I had a conversation last night with the guys in my Bible study about what a mature Christian looks like. We decided that they've learned to live by faith, trusting in God and almost never questioning His will or purpose -- which makes me a toddler.

Basically, regardless of the circumstances we're facing or the uncertainty of the future, we must praise the God who has our best interests at heart and remember that no matter what, we serve Him, not the other way around. When we finally see the big picture, we'll understand how His path, while confusing from our point of view, was perfect in every way. Even when it leads us through challenges. I like the lyrics of this new song:

I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen"and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear
You whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God
Who gives and takes away

Chorus:
I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my sideA
nd though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear
You whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God
Who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

"Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Being still and knowing God. Yes. If only you can get hold of that while you're young, and stay that way all your days. You'll be doing better than most of the rest of us.

But God is at work. Humbling us. So that often we have no other recourse except to be still and look to him.

Thanks for your stimulating thoughts.