Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Big Events - 6/21/06


It's hard sometimes to think of what my mom would say during life-changing events. She passed away in September of '03. Since then, I married my best friend, my little brother married an awesome woman, and they gave me another niece. Now, my wife and I are stepping out on faith - going on an adventure to Belize where mission work and employment blend into one.

What would my mom say?

Luckily, I know her heart so I have an idea of what she would say. And she knows Jesus Christ (she lives in His house right now). I know Jesus, too, and she is most likely aware of what He is doing in my life right now. So I know what she probably is saying.

I think God helped this become incredibly clear when Melissa and I were driving home from Tacoma on Father's Day. God the Father's Day...

She had fallen asleep, and I was listening to the radio. A song that I had heard dozens of times before started playing. It was a familiar tune, but I never paid any attention to the lyrics - until now. Suddenly all of my attention was fixed on this message playing in my car. I believe it is exactly how my mom would react to the news of my traveling to Belize to teach junior high in a Christian school. This is where the lyrics started speaking to my heart:

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
to dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
and help you find your wings

May passion be the wind
that leads you through your days
And may convictions keep you strong
guide you on your way
May there be many moments
that make you life so sweet
But more than memories

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
to dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
and help you find your wings

It's not living
if you don't reach for the sky
I'll have tears as you take off
but I'll cheer as you fly

...so let my love give you roots
and help you find your wings


Thank you Jesus for your presence; for reminding me of my mother's love - the roots of which will be there for me whatever this life brings. Thank you Lord for filling my heart with dreams and the faith it takes to do great things for you. I praise your holy name, Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post...it helped me out today. I was looking for the full lyrics to this song, as I felt God was speaking them to me. God bless you!