Saturday, August 29, 2009

Abba, Father - 8/29/09

Psalm 127:1, "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it" (NASB).

I love the way God uses His word to speak to me! I understand why it is called "the living word," since a verse you've read before that didn't really apply can suddenly come alive - jumping off the page to speak to your current situation.

That's what this scripture above did for me. It began with my studying Hebrew. I think the Hebrew script is beautiful, and to satisfy curiosity I have been studying it during Corban's naps. The day I finished learning all the consonants, I turned to that day's reading in the Bible which began with Psalm 119 - an acrostic poem based on the Hebrew alphabet! Originally, each verse began with one Hebrew letter. I might have considered that a coincidence, but then I clicked through a couple pages online, and suddenly was looking at my first name written in Hebrew! One of only two names on the page. I think these two "coincidences" were God's way of encouraging me to continue studying the language.

So far, I learned that the Hebrew characters began as pictures that evolved into an alphabet over time. To infer deeper meaning in the words, some people have substituted the modern letters with the original pictograms, using the meaning of those ancient pictures to get a deeper understanding of that word. For example, "El," the root word for "God," (
אֵל) can be traced back to a picture of an ox and a staff, the two images together meaning "Strong Leader." Likewise, the picture-word for "father," or "abba," (אָבּ) is an ox and a house, meaning "Strength of the House."

So with this in mind, I turned to today's reading in the Bible, Psalm 127:1. It states, "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it." Abba. Father. Strength of the House. Who is the strength of the house? God, our Father, is the Strength of the House. He is the one who must build it; He is the one who must be the foundation for my family. Jesus said in Matthew 7:24-27, "
Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash" (NIV).
I can let Jesus Christ and His teachings be the foundation for my house, and it will endure life's storms. Or, I can try to do it on my own and watch it all "fall with a great crash" when those storms come along.
I am a father now, I am Abba. I am supposed to be the strength of the house. But, without a foundation built by my God, my "Strong Leader," my efforts to establish a safe home to raise and guide my family are in vain. I must rely on God's strength, not my own, to provide for my family.

If a father is to be the strength of his family, then surely the enemy will recognize that threat and attack it first. As a father then, it is important to take extra care to anticipate attacks in areas where I am weak (i.e., temptations). How many families in our country live in a house without a father, without abba? Clearly these attacks have been successful in our culture, given the number of students I have without a father in the home. Fortunately for fatherless homes, our Heavenly Father can be our Abba.

He can be the strength of any house.

________________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

Meliski said...

LOVE this. Made me teary-eyed. :)

Anonymous said...

The God of Bacon says hello.

kannan said...

LORD JESUS BLESS YOUR MINISTRY MORE AND MORE

M.A.C. said...

Hi Nathan,

Interesting post and great blog being an educator I'm sure God has given you a heart for our youth.

I would like to ask you a question part of a project I am doing.

Where is the text in the bible that supports the popular Christian belief that God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to start a new religion called Christianity?

I believe that this totally fits with your post and I'm asking every believer I meet the same question.

N8 said...

Thank you all. M.A.C., to answer your question, I think John 3:16 answers your question best. Though the Old Testament prophecies for Messiah were satisfied in several places in the New Testament when recounting the life of Jesus.

M.A.C. said...

Hi N8,

That text does not say we are to start a new religion called Christianity. It says whoever believes in Jesus Christ should not perish (emphasis on should) but have everlasting life.

What are your thoughts on the severe problem of denominational divergence

Considering; Matthew 7

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Sounds like Jesus is talking about church folk here. What do you think could religious pious people be in danger of not making the cut?

Unknown said...

Randomly came to your blog. Very cool. I like the insight into the Hebrew -- ya, the first Hebrew word referring to the Father, and the word pictures assocaited with it. I think you'd find www.biblewheel.com very interesting.
Bless ya,
another nathan

Unknown said...

ps. i didn't know that we had the same username -- my apologies, i don't want to confuse anyone. i'm a canadian nathan :)

Justin said...

Where did you get this info about Hebrew evolving from pictograms? I've studied the language in graduate school, but never heard that before.

N8 said...

Justin - thank you all for stopping by. Justin - you can do a quick search for Hebrew pictograms, there are a lot of sites. One such is http://kheph777.tripod.com/art_alephbeth.html. My first introduction to the concept came from http://hebrew4christians.com/, but I also received a language book for Christmas with similar information. Hope this helps!