Thursday, August 13, 2009

Son Shine - 8/13/09

Psalm 84:1-2, 10, "How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; ... Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere..." (NIV).

Psalm 86:10, "You alone are God" (NIV)

Yesterday Melissa and I were talking about where to go on vacation at the end of the month. She's concerned that I didn't really get a summer break, having spent all my time with our newborn son. I love her. I didn't mind that, but I'll take a getaway! We kicked around a few ideas: the Oregon coast, Suncadia, and San Diego.

Ah, San Diego - my favorite U.S. city on the mainland. That night with San Diego on the mind, I read Psalm 84. This Psalm inspired the popular song by Third Day, "Better Is One Day." On any other evening, coming across this Psalm may not have seemed significant. But this evening, while dreaming of the warm sands of La Jolla and Pacific Beach, I'm reminded of my mother by the Psalm I read. She and I made dozens of trips to San Diego to visit her doctor before she passed away there. This song by Third Day was always one of her favorites. The coincidence between reading this Psalm and its connection to the destination I had in mind struck me. But then, with God, there really aren't many coincidences.

I kept reading the Psalms while listening to some music. My current favorite song by Hillsong United, "Till I See You," began to play as I read Psalm 86. The very second I began reading the line of verse 10, "You alone are God," those exact words played in my headphones.

Two notable parallels in one night's reading leads me to believe there is more than mere coincidence at play here. This is how God so often speaks to me or gives me encouragement, or words of confirmation.

So, I should probably try to figure out what He's trying to tell me ... though I think I can just take it all at face value. It's true that I may be exasperated by the region in which I live and I may pine for the sunshine and warm water of California. I may want to take that walk down memory lane in San Diego; to stand in the sun and laugh with the shadows. But, all this is temporary.

Because Better Is One Day in His Courts than a thousand days in California, Belize, Hawaii, or any other sunny place I dream of returning to. My mother knows for certain that better is one day in His courts than a thousand elsewhere. And, why should I chase after the sun, when I already have the son? This may be what God is trying to make clear to me. It doesn't matter where I am, this world is temporary. True, permanent happiness can only be found in the Lord God Almighty.

You alone are God
. "And that my soul knows very well," to quote another Hillsong.

All I need is Jesus. I may want more, but "all of Him is more than enough for all of me."

So, I can dream of standing in sun, or I can dream of standing in awe of the Son. That's why I like this song that played so much, because as it says, until I see my heavenly Father face to face, I can just stand as a child in awe of Him. So here are the lyrics to that song, may you be blessed by them!

"Till I See You"
by Hillsong United

The greatest love that anyone could ever know
That overcame the cross and grave to find my soul
And 'til I see You face to face and grace amazing
takes me home
I'll trust in You

With all I am I'll live to see Your kingdome come
And in my heart I pray You'd let Your will be done
And 'til I see You face to face and grace amazing
takes me home
I'll trust in You

I will live to love You
I will live to bring You praise
I will live a child in awe of You

You are the voice that called the universe to be
You are the whisper in my heart that speaks to me
And 'til I see you face to face and grace amazing
takes me home
I'll trust in You

You alone are God of all
You alone are worthy Lord
and with all I am my soul will bless Your name



________________________________________________________________________

No comments: