Thursday, August 06, 2009

Sharing What Is Good - 8/6/09

Proverbs 16:17, "Good people stay away from evil. By watching what they do, they protect their lives" (NASB).

Psalm 73:28, "But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of your works" (NASB).

Psalm 71:18, "I will tell the children about your power; I will tell those who live after me about your might" (NIV)

Today I read Proverbs 16 again, focusing on the verse that stuck out to me yesterday. I've been thinking all day about the concept of "good people," as stated in Proverbs 16 above. I'm reminded of the man who called Jesus "good teacher," to whom he replied that nobody is good. How can I be good, as mentioned in Proverbs 16, if I am not God?

The Lord answered me this evening with the 73rd Psalm. "The nearness of God is my good. I have made the Lord my refuge, that I may tell of your works." This issue may have seemed insignificant to so many people, but it was something I needed to work out for myself. God saw this in my heart and answered my question for me. He is so great! I love how He speaks to me through his word.

Drawing near to God, and making him my refuge, leaves only one more aspect of this Psalm to live out; I must tell of His works. This theme rose briefly in yesterday's devotion in Proverbs 23, to speak what is right. So then, what will I tell of, exactly, and to whom?

Perhaps that's why Psalm 71 also spoke to me during this past day in the Psalms. "I will tell the children about your power; I will tell those who live after me about your might." I feel in my heart when reading this verse that the high school kids Melissa and I host at our house every week are the children I will share God's power with - along with my son and his generation. I will tell them all about Your power.

I pray that my words and a life lived for Jesus will tell those who live after me about his might.

No comments: