Sunday, August 09, 2009

Show Them The Way - 8/9/09

Psalm 78:5-7, "We will not keep them from our children; we will tell those who come later about the praises of the Lord. We will tell about His power and the miracles He has done ... He commanded our ancestors to teach their children ... so they would all trust God and would not forget what He had done but would obey His commands."

I'm seeing a theme here in the scriptures God is speaking to my heart this week. Today again, God focused my attention on the command to teach our children. Well, I am a teacher ... mission accomplished, God!

Except of course for the content I teach. It says in verse 4 that I am to tell of His power and the miracles He has done. This can't really be done overtly in my position as a teacher if I'm to keep my job.

But, this is a good reminder in general. I believe God is trying to re-focus my purpose in working with the youth group and preparing me for my greatest responsibility as a father. It seems it didn't sink in the first time...so God brought it up again tonight.

So I am to tell them of His power, glory, and miracles. Why? The answer may seem obvious, but I like how the book of Romans answers that question. Verse 10:14, "But before people can ask the Lord for help, they must believe in Him; and before they can believe in Him, they must hear about Him; and for them to hear about the Lord, someone must tell them, and before someone can go and tell them that person must be sent."

So, I have been sent. I'm here, working for Jesus. If any of these kids want to ask the Lord for help, or if I want to ensure they spread the Good News to the next generation, I must open my mouth. I must tell them of His power and the miracles He's done, from delivering Israel from Egypt to changing the hearts of people I love. Verse 17 ties in nicely with this idea, "So faith comes from hearing the Good News, and people hear the Good News when someone tells them about Christ."

I wasn't born with my faith, someone told me about Him. And as my wife pointed out, God doesn't have grand kids. You don't inherit your parents faith, but must develop a relationship with Him on your own. It helps to listen to what people have to say about the true Jesus Christ of the Bible, let them tell you of His power - not what the hate-filled "sandwich board Christian" says on the street corner.

It's worth the effort seeking Him and learning about his power, miracles, and love! In Romans 10:11 it says, "Anyone who believes in Him will never be disappointed."

I love that!

John 14:6, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

No comments: