Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Wisdom Gained - 8/5/09

Proverbs 15:31, "If you listen to correction to improve your life, you will live among the wise."

Proverbs 16:17, "Good people stay away from evil. By watching what they do, they protect their lives."

Proverbs 19:20, "Listen to advice and accept correction, and in the end you will be wise."

Proverbs 23:15-16, "My child, if you are wise, then I will be happy. I will be so pleased if you speak what is right."

As I read through Proverbs, these verses really spoke to my heart. I wrote each one down in turn, without much attention paid to the other verses I picked. I just felt like God was speaking to me through these words but wasn't sure what He was saying. After I'd finished, I read them in the order I had written them down.

My God is also my Father, and I've often looked to Him for guidance, example, and fatherly advice.

Reading these verses in this order was a pretty direct admonition and reminder from God to live rightly and speak what is right. We are all sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God, as the scripture says. Here, however, my heavenly Father offers me correction, with the added benefit of wisdom. I can accept correction and live among the wise, and in so doing I can protect my life - simply by watching what I do. I can be a "good" son by staying away from evil - as the second scripture says.

The third verse then emphasizes what the first one said - but adding that "in the end" I will be wise, indicating that wisdom is a process gained over time. So then, I am to patiently and consistently listen to advice and accept correction. Easier said than done, but my goal nevertheless.

But ultimately, and this is the verse I loved the most, God said to me through the fourth verse that I will make him happy by gaining that wisdom earned through accepting God's advice and correction. The idea that my small, seemingly insignificant actions can make the Creator of the universe happy leaves me dumbfounded. What's more, it says He will be SO pleased if I speak what is right!

Who wouldn't want to please the Lord God Almighty?

No comments: